Wednesday, January 22, 2014

From CLASSROOM to POOL PUMP ROOM, a teacher's journey Part 1

After retiring from 29 years in education, 19 as a high school English teacher and 10 more as an Assistant Principal, I decided maybe there are other teachers out there who might benefit from my entrepreneurial success and yes, failures.

Without going in to too much detail, I was a typical teacher.  I was married, my wife worked in retail, and at the end of every month we would see our bank statement and realize that though we had lived frugally, we had $8.34 left until payday!

Our first daughter was born with a severe heart defect, we were told she would need surgery, we couldn’t find a daycare provider to accept her and we decided it would be best for her health if my wife stayed home to care for her. Again, this isn’t about her story or our struggles as a family, it is about my need to make money.

At first I decided the best thing to do would be to get out of teaching and into the corporate world. But there were two problems; one I had an English education degree, and two, I had no idea what I could do and realized I loved teaching. From there I decided a part-time job may be the answer, but honestly, every part time job I looked into was chump change given the time I would spend away from my family. Somehow, fellow teachers and friends saw this as their opportunity to solicit me to sell term life insurance, become an Amway distributor, etc. I was told many times how I would excel at sales since teaching is basically selling to students. The problem was, I didn’t want to sell. I wasn’t about to call my family and friends and try to sucker them into the benefits of vitamins, soap, insurance, none of that.

I will continue to post short exerpts like this for those reading and interested in how a high school teacher/administrator started a perfect small business.




No comments: